Archive for the ‘Selfish’ Category
I’m thinking of buying a mac! Please… somebody help me. I’m caught in a whirlwind of marketing hype, sexy products and a power to run windows. I don’t want to be the nerd in the suit, I wanna be the cool guy played by that dorky actor from somewhere I can’t remember. Must… stop… thinking about silver hardware…glowing keyboards… shops without cash registers.
But seriously, if someone is running a macbookpro with windows tell me straight. Is it working for you? (And how hot does she really get?) Is it time for me to embrace my destiny…
[Update: here’s a nice article on the switch]
The engineer fumed, "What's with those blokes? We must have been waiting for fifteen minutes!"
The doctor chimed in, "I don't know, but I've never seen such inept golf!"
The priest said, "Here comes the greens keeper. Let's have a word with him." He said, "Hello, George! what's wrong with that group ahead of us? They're rather slow, aren't they?"
The greens keeper replied, "Oh, yes. That's a group of blind firefighters. They lost their sight saving our clubhouse from a fire last year, so we always let them play for free anytime." The group fell silent for a moment.
The priest said, "That's so sad. I think I will say a special prayer for them tonight."
The doctor said, "Good idea. I'm going to contact my ophthalmologist colleague and see if there's anything he can do for them."
The engineer said, "Why can't they play at night?"
I love games/riddles/puzzles/etc — anybody who's heard about the Christmas parties I like to throw my staff at the end of each year will understand what "survivor meets the amazing race" really means (I need to blog about that soon; have some great photos from the last one).
Over the years I've collected a vast array of riddles (oh no, I hope that doesn’t mean I have a hobby… it’ll be carpentry next).
Anyway, some of these riddles I've written, others are just the ones I've collected that I thought were beautiful both mentally and literally. Unfortunately, most riddle sites on the web seem to be run by Einsteinian 14-year-olds wearing lab coats who seem to just throw up any old garbage (e.g. "How many letters are in the alphabet?" — I hope you anwered 11)
So I thought it might be good to share the best ones I have with the world… slowly. And of course in the true web 2.0 spirit I created an RSS/wordpress/feedburner powered blog aptly named TheDailyRiddle.com to kick things off. I'm using the blog to post a selected riddle each day and give everybody 24 hours to comment with the answer. Hope you enjoy them and feel free to submit any you personally like… I’ll send you a Tangler cookie if it's any good.
And thanks to Nik who pushed me to announce this.
You know its 2006 when…
- You can communicate with your friends “quickly and easily” using at least 15 different instant messaging systems.
- You use your PDA’s push email system to tell you when to go check email on your PC.
- You understand the myth of media centres is a Tivo.
- You marvel at the bits in films that don’t have something computer generated in them.
- You discover there are no limits to what you can sell on eBay, and what people will buy.
- You’re counted as a MySpace user, though you can’t remember actually signing up — apparently things are “going great for you and you’ve got tons of friends!!!”
- Your screensaver interrupts you watching movies.
- By the time you finish upgrading all the PCs in the house, the oldest ones are out-of-date again.
- You tag.
- You share photos with complete strangers, and then love it when they leave comments.
- Geeks are cool again… as long as they stick 2.0 at the end of what they’re working on.